Friday, December 10, 2010

This Dead Guy is Still Alive!

Rogue Ales struck gold in the early 90's when it created Dead Guy Ale, a German Maibock-style beer. Since taking the bronze metal in the 1994 World Beer Championship, Dead Guy has racked up an impressive list of awards, including 3 World Beer Championship gold metals. One taste and you have it all figured out. Or don't you? See, the beer is pretty complex and very tough to decipher for someone who hasn't had a lot of beer of this quality before. It can take some figuring out.

This was exactly the case for me. I hadn't been 21 long and I was in an absolute trance about tying steelhead flies and fishing as much as possible. I picked up a six-pack of Dead Guy after work at the grocery store and raced home to tie more flies and have a few beers. While it came highly recommended, I couldn't get a handle on this beer. I didn't have much experience in such matters and I suppose I had bitten of more than I could chew. While utterly perplexed by the beer, I kept with it and continued tying flies into the wee hours of the morning. This was in the middle of the winter and Dead Guy fit perfectly: a little dark and bitter yet surprisingly hoppy and bold, perfect for any winter steelhead fly fisherman.

I've stuck by this brew over the last few years and I still pick it up occasionally. Its one that I'm proud to have a better feel for now and one that I will never let go of. Rogue Ales make a lot of very interesting beers but Dead Guy Ale remains the most popular for good reason. The beer goes very well with a burger or anything spicy. Check it out and be prepared to unlock its mysteries!

Dead Guy Ale
16 Degrees Plato
40 IBU's
6.5% ABV

http://www.rogue.com/beers/dead-guy-ale.php

No comments:

Post a Comment