Sunday, December 12, 2010

Drop Anchor!

If you appreciate beer, there are always those brews with which you have a personal attachment to. One of those for me is Anchor Steam. A nice amber hue in color, Anchor Steam kind of sneaks up on you. Upon first inspection, it looks like a traditional amber ale. One sip, though, and you'll notice the hoppy bite and the slightly bitter aftertaste. Brewed by Anchor Brewing in San Francisco, Anchor Steam is widely available.

I had my first experience with this one when on vacation with my wife. It was our first trip to San Francisco during college and we were walking along the waterfront when we stopped in a diner for some dinner. Anchor Steam was on the menu and I ordered a pint. A few years later and I'm still sipping it on a regular basis. Its the true "San Francisco Treat" if you ask me!

A neat fact about this beer is that it was originally brewed in 1896. The word "steam" has its own historic significance. Because of a lack of technology and high-tech facilities, west coast breweries around this time, the turn of the century, often let off "steam," malt and barley-scented gasses produced by the brewing process. With its roots in this era and location, the Anchor Brewing Company and Anchor Steam in particular, have captured this idea with this brew.

Overall, its very drinkable and has its own distinct taste. This beer goes very well with fresh tastes, such as salads and artisan pizzas (which I'm eating tonight). If you haven't already, give Anchor Steam a try. Trust me, it won't do you any harm!

Anchor Steam Lager
4.9% ABV

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/

No comments:

Post a Comment